女人 (traditional and simplified, Pinyin nǚrén)
- (Elementary Mandarin) woman; adult female
- Nà rén shuō , nǐ suǒ cìgĕi wǒ , yǔ wǒ tóngjū de nǚrén , tā bà nà shù shàng de guǒzi gĕi wǒ , wǒ jiù chī le .
- And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
- wife (generally not used in formal speech)
- (colloquial) lover; mistress
- When refering to an adult female in a neutral sense, 婦女 (trad.), 妇女 (simp.) fùnǚ and 女的 nǚde are often preferred, as 女人 nǚrén can carry potentially offensive connotations of a female of low social standing or worth (similar to woman and lady in English).
- "女人" (in Mandarin/English), Pleco Dictionary. URL accessed on 2011-02-21.
- "女人" (in Mandarin/English), Dr. eye. URL accessed on 2011-02-21.