|simpl. and trad.|
|Kanji in this term|
- An unmarried woman who serves at a Shintō shrine, helping to receive visitors and performing 神楽 (kagura) dances at ceremonies, among other responsibilities.
- An unmarried woman who serves a deity as a medium to convey oracles.
Using the alternate spelling 神子, a miko could be of either gender, but unmarried young women are by far the most common.
- (shrine dancer):
- 歩き巫女 (あるきみこ, arukimiko): a wandering miko
- 巫女兵 (みこへい, miko hei): a warrior priestess (fantasy)
- 黒巫女 (くろみこ, kuro miko): a dark priestess (fantasy)
- 口寄巫女 (くちよせみこ, kuchiyose miko): a miko acting as a medium
From Sinitic 巫女.