Last modified on 5 November 2013, at 01:32
手杖 (traditional and simplified, measure word 個/个, 跟 or 把, Pinyin shǒuzhàng)
- (literally) any kind of long or short rod with a handle; a cane
- (by extension) walking stick
- guǎigùn 拐棍 (alternative forms: 柺棍, 枴棍)
- guǎizhàng 拐杖 (alternative forms: 柺杖, 枴杖)
- qīnglí 青藜 (archaic)
- In Mandarin, 拐杖 guǎizhàng is the most commonly used term for walking stick. By contrast, 手杖 shǒuzhàng can be used to describe a cane that has other uses, such as hiking or scaring away wild snakes.