Literally, the two morphemes that compose this word mean east and west
- IPA: [ tʊŋ˥˥ɕi˥˥ ] east and west
|audio (sense 2)
- IPA: [ tʊŋ˥˥ɕi ] thing
東西 (traditional, Pinyin dōngxī, simplified 东西)
- east and west, from east to west
東西 (traditional, Pinyin dōngxi, simplified 东西)
- (Beginning Mandarin) something; thing
- wǒ hái yǒu hěn duō dōngxi yào xué
- I still have a lot (of stuff) to learn.
- Whilst dōngxi 東西 can mean thing in either a physical or abstract sense, shìqing 事情 only means thing in an abstract sense.