|Kanji in this term|
- progress; improvements in social welfare.
- Personal progress, usually in the development of a skill.
- sono seito no shinpo wa moushibunai.
- The student’s progress is satisfactory.
進歩 is quite common as a verb (進歩する), and it is most easily understood in relation to the English word progress. It is frequently used in reference to social progress, particularly of a technological nature, and to personal progress in a skill. It is not generally used to refer to progress in other sorts of endeavors, such as a trip up a mountain (e.g., "Due to the blizzard, their progress was slow."), or of time in general (e.g., "As the evening progressed, the party became more chaotic.").
- To improve (in reference to a society's technological capability or general quality of life).
- igaku wa mezamashiku shinpo shite iru.
- Progress in medicine is going ahead by leaps and bounds.
- To advance in proficiency; to make progress in the development of a skill.