鱒 (radical 195 魚+12, 23 strokes, cangjie input 弓火廿田戈 (NFTWI), four-corner 28346)
- KangXi: Template:Han KangXi link, character 12
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 46492
- Dae Jaweon: page 2009, character 33
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 7, page 4715, character 3
- Unihan data for U+9C52
Generally thought to derive from a Korean dialectical term for the fish entering Japanese as 松魚 (matsu no uo, "pine fish", possibly in reference to wooded streams where it can be caught), combining with or being influenced by the verb 増す (masu, "to be excellent, superior", in reference to the size, flavor, and other favorable characteristics of the fish).
- trout, sea trout: more specifically, fish belonging to genera of the family Salmonidae: Salmo, Oncorhynchus, Coregonus, or Salvelinus
- As with many biological and scientific terms, this word is more often spelled in katakana as マス.