- a cold supper consisting mainly of bread, sliced meat, cheese, and pickles
- (by extension) any kind of supper (meal taken in the evening)
- The kind of supper defined in sense 1 is common among most families in the German language area, either on virtually all evenings or just on some evenings.
- Few speakers make a clear-cut distinction between Abendbrot (sense 1) and Abendessen (sense 2). Both words are widely interchangeable, apart from the fact that only Abendessen would commonly be used for a dinner at a classy restaurant.
- The plural form is widely avoided.
Read in another language
This page is available in 18 languages