Last modified on 9 October 2013, at 21:17
From the name of the priest Bogomil, who supposedly founded the sect, literally meaning "dear to god", from bog (“god”) (compare Common Slavic *bogъ) and mil (“dear”) (compare Common Slavic *milъ).
Bogomil (plural Bogomils)
- A member of a dualist Christian sect which flourished in the Balkans during the 10th to 15th centuries and was characterized by resistance to the state and church authorities.
member of a dualist Christian sect
- Armenian: բոգոմիլ (bogomil)
- Belarusian: багаміл m (bahamíl)
- Bulgarian: богомил m (bogomíl)
- French: bogomile (fr) m, f
- German: Bogomile m, Bogomilin f
- Hungarian: bogumil
- Russian: богомил (ru) m (bogomíl), богомилка f (bogomílka)
- Ukrainian: богомил m (bohomýl)