» Japanese language » Parts of speech
Japanese terms categorized by their part of speech.
- Category:Japanese adjectives: Japanese terms that give attributes to nouns, extending their definitions.
- Category:Japanese adverbs: Japanese terms that modify clauses, sentences and phrases directly.
- Category:Japanese classifiers: Japanese terms that classify nouns according to their meanings.
- Category:Japanese conjunctions: Japanese terms that connect words, phrases or clauses together.
- Category:Japanese counters: Japanese terms that combine with numerals to express quantity of nouns.
- Category:Japanese determiners: Japanese terms that reference nouns, expressing their contexts directly.
- Category:Japanese interjections: Japanese terms that express emotions, sounds, etc. as exclamations.
- Category:Japanese nouns: Japanese terms that indicate people, beings, things, places, phenomena, qualities or ideas.
- Category:Japanese numerals: Japanese terms that quantify nouns.
This category lists only terms of the grammatical "numeral" part of speech, and not all number words may in fact be grammatically numerals. See Category:ja:Cardinal numbers and Category:ja:Ordinal numbers for more complete lists.
- Category:Japanese particles: Japanese terms that do not belong to any of the inflected grammatical word classes, often lacking their own grammatical functions and forming other parts of speech or expressing the relationship between clauses.
- Category:Japanese postpositions: Japanese adpositions that are placed after their objects.
- Category:Japanese prepositions: Japanese adpositions that are placed before their objects.
- Category:Japanese pronouns: Japanese terms that refer to and substitute nouns.
- Category:Japanese verbs: Japanese terms that indicate actions, occurrences or states.
This category has the following 15 subcategories, out of 15 total.