Last modified on 27 May 2014, at 13:14
English citations of amazon
- 1864, Thomas Adolphus Trollope, Lindisfarn Chase: A Novel, page 35
- […] she very accurately figured to herself the charming picture she would make, mounted in a becoming amazon costume upon so showily beautiful a steed.
- a. 1896, by Frances Dillon Jerningham, The Jerningham Letters (1780-1843): Being Excerpts from the Correspondence, page 49
- Your riding in a masterly way is not what suits my idea of female meekness, but I allow you to be amazon as you have so many claims upon the arts which soften down the Intrepidity of the amazon
- 1909, Henry Dudeney, Trespass, page 241
- This was a complaint which demanded more amazon and strictly feminine qualities.
- 1973, Jill Johnston, Lesbian Nation: The Feminist Solution, page 258
- Lesbian nation is amazon culture
- 1990, Diane Stein, Casting the Circle: A Women's Book of Ritual, page 77
- These are amazon foremothers, with two Mother Goddesses (Demeter and Hina) to watch over them.
- 1992, Walter L. Williams, The Spirit and the Flesh: Sexual Diversity in American Indian Culture, page 251
- She wrote me that "There are amazon women, recognized as such, today in a number of tribes—young, alive, and kicking!"
- 2002, D. J. MacHale, The Merchant of Death, page 78
- If they knew who I was, then why was amazon girl over there ready to beat my brains out?