Last modified on 9 December 2013, at 11:18
From French Cochin-China; from Portuguese corruption of Ko-chen, + China to distinguish from the Indian town of Cochin (which has a different etymology and was also Portuguese colony).
- A former region comprising southern Vietnam and part of Cambodia.
- Portuguese: Cochinchina
- Mandarin: 南圻 (nánqí), 交趾支那 (jiāozhǐzhīnà)
- Khmer: កូសាំងស៊ីន (ko sang sin), កូសាំងចិន (ko sang jen)
- Russian: Кохинхи́на (ru) f (Koxinxína)
- ^ “Cochin-china” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary (2001).