- A diminutive of the male given name Hugh.
- (Australia) Imaginary god or higher power responsible for rain.
- 1981: As soon as they see me scurrying around picking up snorkels and flippers they know the Big Wet is on its way. The skies will open and Hughie will send it down. — Les Tanner, Nature's a Nice Place to Visit, from Tanner With Words, 1981. Quoted in Aussie Humour, Macmillan, 1988, ISBN 0-7251-0553-4, page 93.
- (surfing, chiefly humorous) Imaginary god who creates surf (waves, and associated conditions).
- 2006: Pipe scowled. “Hughie... send us swell! Not just any swell, but a grand macking swell! In return, we pray you will accept this near-virginal surfboard sacrifice that we make in your name!” — DC Green, Surf Europe