From western German dialects, such as Kölsch Kappes.
Kappes m (genitive Kappes, no plural)
- (regional, colloquial) cabbage, Brassica oleracea
- Ich mach' heut' abend Kappes-Durcheinander.
- I'm making a cabbage stew for dinner.
- (regional, colloquial) nonsense
- Erzähl mir keinen Kappes!
- Don't tell me such nonsense!
In its original meaning "cabbage", the word is limited to western Germany and declining even there. (A southern German variant is Kabis.) In the figurative meaning "nonsense", however, Kappes is quite common and actually spreading supraregionally.