The expression may have originated in the early 1980s by comic Lea DeLaria, who joked:
- Q: What does a lesbian bring on a second date?
- A: A U-Haul.
- (slang, US, derogatory) In North American lesbian culture, a relationship that progresses very quickly, for example moving in together after only a short period of time -- a pattern stereotypically attributed to relationships between two women.
- (etymology) The Advocate, Feb 1st, 2000
- (etymology) The Stranger Jul 17 - Jul 23, 2003
- Metro Weekly
- Houston Voice
- The Advocate August 19th, 2003