- A distance approximately equal to the length of a human's arm.
- (figuratively) A position not suggesting or inviting intimacy.
- She remained at arm's length though we worked together for many years.
- (figuratively) A condition of independence and parity for parties to a transaction.
- The police work at arm's length from the army.
- (literally) Barely within reach.
- (idiomatic) Distant, detached.
- (idiomatic) Independent, but related.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language