- (idiomatic) By coincidence
- I have my guitar with me in the car, as it happens. I'll go and get it.
- A. "You won't know Paris, I suppose." B. As it happens, I went to university there!
- 2014, Ian Jack, "Is this the end of Britishness", The Guardian, 16 September 2014:
- In the second volume of his autobiography, he writes of a journey up the Padma by paddle steamer (built, as it happens, on the river outside my window), where the dry season had exposed many sandbanks...
- Often used to introduce a statement which contradicts a previous statement.