be born yesterday
- (idiomatic, informal) To be new, naive, innocent, inexperienced, or easily deceived.
- I was not born yesterday, you know. I have done this before!
- 2005, Howard Zinn and Donaldo Pereira Macedo, Howard Zinn on Democratic Education, page 69:
- If you don't know important things about history, then it's as if you were born yesterday.
- 1998, Gwyn Hyman Rubio, Icy Sparks, page 155:
- "Compared to me, you were born yesterday."
- Mostly used in the negative, to indicate that one is not as naive as had been implied, but sometimes, as in examples above, in comparison or the subjunctive mood.
- See also Wikisaurus:naive
to be inexperienced
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language