Borrowing from French bien pensant.
bien pensant (comparative more bien pensant, superlative most bien pensant)
- Right-thinking, orthodox, conformist.
- 2010, Bagehot, The Economist, 23 Aug 2010:
- He hopes Mr Abbott wins the election in part because it would, he says, annoy bien-pensant British journalists and Leftists who oppose the Australian's positions on things like abortion, gay marriage or climate change.
bien pensant (plural bien pensants)
- A person who is bien pensant.
- Someone who accepts and/or espouses a fashionable idea after it has been established and maintains it without a great amount of critical thought.