- (typography) A Northern European style of type, with contrasting thick-and-thin, angular strokes forming upright letterforms, and usually set with a dark typographic colour on the page.
- Text set in black-letter type.
- (law) The basic standard elements for a particular field of law, which are generally known and free from doubt or dispute.
- (typeface): textura
- (typeface): fraktur
- (typeface): bastarda, Schwabacher
- (typeface): rotunda
- (typeface): quadrata
- (typeface): antiqua
- (typeface): whiteletter
- For usage examples of this term, see the citations page.