block out (third-person singular simple present blocks out, present participle blocking out, simple past and past participle blocked out)
- (transitive) to prevent from entering or penetrating
- High-factor suncream blocks out the sun's rays.
- (idiomatic, transitive) to prevent (a thought) from entering one's mind.
- After finding out she had terminal cancer, she tried to block out any thoughts of her own mortality.
- (transitive) to cover something, so as to make it impossible to see.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language