- bumberchute rare
- bumberschutz from the German bumber (storm) and schutzen (protect)
bumbershoot (plural bumbershoots)
- (dated, humorous) An umbrella.
- It smells like rain. Perhaps we should take along a bumbershoot.
- 1912, L. Frank Baum, Sky Island
- "It--it belongs in our family," said Button-Bright, beginning to eat and speaking between bites. "This umbrella has been in our family years, an' years, an' years. But it was tucked away up in our attic an' no one ever used it 'cause it wasn't pretty."
- "Don't blame 'em much," remarked Cap'n Bill, gazing at it curiously. "It's a pretty old-lookin' bumbershoot."
- 1968, Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman (lyrics), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- "Me ol' bamboo, me ol' bamboo, you'd better never bother with me ol' bamboo, you can have me hat or me bumbershoot, but you'd better never bother with me ol' bamboo."
- 1970, Walt Disney, The Aristocats
- "Napoleon: Wait a minute! Where's my hat? Where-- and somebody stole my bumbershoot!"
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language