From Middle English byen, biggen, buggen, from Old English bycġan (“to buy, pay for, acquire, redeem, ransom, procure, get done, sell”), from Proto-Germanic *bugjaną (“to buy”), of uncertain origin. Perhaps from Proto-Indo-European *bhūgh- (“to bend”), or from Proto-Indo-European *bheugh- (“to take away, deliver”). Cognate with Scots by (“to buy, purchase”), Old Saxon buggian, buggean (“to buy”), Old Norse byggja (“to procure a wife, lend at interest, let out”), Gothic 𐌱𐌿𐌲𐌾𐌰𐌽 (bugjan, “to buy”).
- enPR: bī, IPA: /baɪ/, X-SAMPA: /baI/
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪ
- Homophones: bi, bye, by
- (transitive) To obtain (something) in exchange for money or goods
- I'm going to buy my father something nice for his birthday.
- (transitive) To obtain by some sacrifice.
- I've bought material comfort by foregoing my dreams.
- (transitive) To bribe.
- He tried to buy me with gifts, but I wouldn't give up my beliefs.
- (transitive) To be equivalent to in value.
- The dollar doesn't buy as much as it used to.'
- (transitive, informal) to accept as true; to believe
- I'm not going to buy your stupid excuses anymore!
- (intransitive) To make a purchase or purchases, to treat (for a meal)
- She buys for Federated.
- Let's go out for dinner. I'm buying.
- (poker slang, transitive) To make a bluff, usually a large one.
- Smith tried to buy the pot on the river with a huge bluff
- (obtain (something) in exchange for money): purchase
- (accept as true): accept, believe, swallow (informal), take on
- ((intransitive) make a purchase): make a buy
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
buy (plural buys)
- Something which is bought; a purchase.
- At only $30, the second-hand kitchen table was a great buy.
Read in another language
This page is available in 55 languages
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Na Vosa Vakaviti
- Norsk bokmål
- Gagana Samoa
- Simple English
- Tiếng Việt