- catastrophë (now rare)
catastrophe (plural catastrophes)
- Any large and disastrous event of great significance.
- (insurance) A disaster beyond expectations
- (narratology) The dramatic event that initiates the resolution of the plot in a tragedy.
- (mathematics) A type of bifurcation, where a system shifts between two stable states.
- catastrophe bond
- catastrophe theory
any large and disastrous event of great significance
disaster beyond expectations
Ancient Greek tragedies: the solution of the plot
mathematics: type of bifurcation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
From Ancient Greek, see above
catastrophe f (plural catastrophes)
Read in another language
This page is available in 30 languages