Last modified on 18 June 2013, at 14:10
cautionary (comparative more cautionary, superlative most cautionary)
- Serving to caution or warn; admonitory
- Serving to ward off; preventive
- (obsolete) Held as security or hostage
- 2003 Paul Magdalino - Byzantium in the Year 1000
- Constantine's provision seems drawn from recent experience and intended for practical application, rather than being just a form of cautionary tale . . .
- 1715 Casimir Freschot - The Compleat History of the Treaty of Utrecht
- instead of the Cautionary Towns offer'd in the Law Countries, ought to be now contented . . .