chemical (not comparable)
- (obsolete) Of or relating to alchemy.
- Of or relating to chemistry.
- Of or relating to a material or processes not commonly found in nature or in a particular product.
relating to chemistry
chemical (plural chemicals)
- (chemistry, sciences) Any specific chemical element or chemical compound.
- An artificial chemical compound.
- I color my hair with henna, not chemicals.
- (slang) An addictive drug.
- The noun is frequently used in a slang and more specific non-technical way (2nd and 3rd definition) by the general public. Chemists and those who understand chemistry may gravitate toward the first, but the term "substance" is preferred usage.
any specific element or chemical compound
an artificial chemical compound
an addictive drug
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
terms derived from chemical
Read in another language
This page is available in 38 languages