Echoic of its repetitive "chiff-chaff" song of the European species Phylloscopus collybita.
chiffchaff (plural chiffchaffs)
- A small, common warbler, Phylloscopus collybita, with yellowish-green plumage that breeds throughout northern and temperate Europe and Asia.
- Any of several other species of the same genus.
- (UK, onomatopoeic, uncountable) the song of the chiffchaff.
- I thought I heard something singing chiffchaff, chiffchaff. So I had a look and there was a chiffchaff.
- Iberian chiffchaff, Phylloscopus ibericus
- Canary Islands chiffchaff, Phylloscopus canariensis
- mountain chiffchaff, Phylloscopus sindianus
Read in another language
This page is available in 9 languages