coal tar (plural coal tars)
- A black, viscous tar made by the destructive distillation of coal (to make coke and town gas); it contains a great number of compounds including hydrocarbons and phenols; used in the preparation of medicated soap and shampoo, and industrially for the manufacture of very many products.
- 1989, Alain Chauvel, Gilles Lefebvre, Petrochemical Processes: Major Oxygenated, Chlorinated And Nitrated Derivatives, p. 123:
- Phenol can be obtained from coal tars by two methods : (a) Directly by separation of the product contained in this type of feedstock, at the rate of 0.5 to 1.5 per cent weight.
black viscous tar
- Bulgarian: каменовъглен катран
- Mandarin: 煤焦油 (cmn) (méijiāoyóu)