- IPA: /ˈkɒm.juˌnɪzm̩/
A calque of the German word Kommunismus (from Marx and Engels's Manifesto of the German Communist Party), in turn a calque of the French word communisme, which was formed from commun (“common”), from Latin communis, and the suffix -isme (“-ism”).
communism (plural communisms)
- Any political philosophy or ideology advocating holding the production of resources collectively.
- Any political social system that implements a communist political philosophy.
- The international socialist society where classes and the state no longer exist.
- See also the definitions of Communism.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.