See also Conservative
conservative (plural conservatives)
- A person who favors maintenance of the status quo or reversion to some earlier status.
- (US, economics) A fiscal conservative
- (US, politics) A political conservative
- (US, social sciences) A social conservative.
one who favors the status quo
UK: member of the Conservative party
- Tending to resist change.
- The curriculum committee at this university is extremely conservative.
- Based on pessimistic assumptions.
- At a conservative estimate, growth may even be negative next year.
- (US, economics, politics, social sciences) Supporting some combination of fiscal, political or social conservatism.
- (US, politics) Relating to the Republican Party, regardless of its conservatism.
- (UK, politics) Relating to the Conservative Party.
- (physics, not comparable) Neither creating nor destroying a given quantity.
- For usage examples of this term, see the citations page.
tending to resist change
based on pessimistic assumptions
supporting fiscal, political or social conservatism
US: relating to the Republican party
UK: relating to the Conservative party
physics: neither creating nor destroying a given quantity
- fiscal conservative
- political conservative
- social conservative
- small-c conservative