From Proto-Germanic *kuh- (unattested in Old English, but probably present as *cohhian; compare cohhetan (“shout”)). Cognate with Dutch kuchen (“cough”), German keuchen (“pant”), Albanian hukat (“pant, gasp”).
cough (third-person singular simple present coughs, present participle coughing, simple past and past participle coughed)
- To push air from the lungs in a quick, noisy explosion.
- I breathed in a load of smoke by mistake, and started to cough.
- 1960, P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Offing, chapter XI:
- I drew a deep breath, and a moment later wished I hadn't, because I drew it while drinking the remains of my gin and tonic. “Does Kipper know of this?“ I said, when I had finished coughing.
- To make a noise like a cough
- The engine coughed and sputtered.
push air from the lungs
- Kurmanji: kuxîn (ku)
- Sorani: کۆکین (ku), کۆخین (ku)
- Lao: ໄອ (lo) ('ai)
- Latin: tussiō (la)
- Latvian: klepot (lv), kāsēt (lv)
- Lithuanian: kosėti (lt)
- Luxembourgish: houschten (lb)
- Occitan: tossir (oc)
- Persian: سرفیدن (fa) (sorfidan), سرفه کردن (fa) (sorfe kardan)
- Polish: kaszleć (pl)
- Portuguese: tossir (pt)
- Romanian: tuși (ro)
- Romansch: tusser (rm), tuoscher (rm), tosser (rm), tussir (rm), tuossir (rm)
- Russian: кашлять (ru) (kášljat'), кашлянуть (ru) (kašljanút')
- Sardinian: tuscire (sc), tussire (sc), tussiri (sc)
- Scots: coch
- Scottish Gaelic: dèan casad (gd)
- Cyrillic: кашљати (sh)
- Roman: kašljati (sh)
- Slovene: kašljati (sl)
- Spanish: toser (es)
- Swahili: kohoa (sw)
- Swedish: hosta (sv)
- Tajik: сулфидан (tg) (sulfidan)
- Telugu: దగ్గు (te)
- Thai: ไอ (th) (ay)
- Turkish: öksürmek (tr)
- Urdu: کھانسنا (ur) (khāṇsnā)
- Walloon: tossî (wa)
make a noise like a cough
cough (plural coughs)
- A sudden, usually noisy expulsion of air from the lungs, often involuntary.
- Behind me, I heard a distinct, dry cough.
- A condition that causes one to cough; a tendency to cough.
- Sorry, I can't come to work today – I've got a nasty cough.
expulsion of air from the lungs
condition that causes one to cough
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Guaraní: hu'u
- Gujarati: ઉધરસ
- Indonesian: batuk
- Interlingua: tusse
- Interlingua: tussir
- Marathi: खोकला
- Spanish: tos f
- Telugu: దగ్గు (daggu)
- Tupinambá: u'u