See also: définition
definition (plural definitions)
- (semantics) A statement of the meaning of a word or word group or a sign or symbol (dictionary definitions).
- A statement expressing the essential nature of something; formulation
- The action or process of defining.
- The act of defining; determination of the limits.
- A product of defining.
- The action or power of describing, explaining, or making definite and clear.
- Her comic genius is beyond definition.
- Clarity of visual presentation, distinctness of outline or detail.
- The definition of a telescope.
- Improve the definition of an image.
- Clarity, especially of musical sound in reproduction.
- Sharp demarcation of outlines or limits.
- A jacket with distinct waist definition.
- (bodybuilding) The degree to which individual muscles are distinct on the body.
- (programming) A statement which provides a previous declaration with a value or body of a subroutine (in the case of function).
- (mathematics) A statement that establishes the referent of a term or notation.
- See also Wikisaurus:definition
statement of the meaning of a word or word group or a sign or symbol
statement expressing the essential nature of something
action or process of defining
act of defining
product of defining
action or power of describing, explaining, or making definite
clarity of visual presentation, distinctness of outline or detail
clarity, especially of musical sound in reproduction
sharp demarcation of outlines or limits
bodybuilding: the degree to which individual muscles are distinct
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
definition f (plural definitions)
Declension of definition
Read in another language
This page is available in 38 languages