- for; because; then; since
- (after a comparative and often with "je") than
- mehr denn je - "more than ever"
- (in a question) then; ever; but; used for general emphasis
- Wo ist er denn? - "Where is he, then?" ("Where ever can he be?")
- Wieso denn? - "How so, then?"
- Was denn? - "But what?"
- Was ist denn los? - "What's wrong, then?"
The functional split between the words denn and dann was prescribed only by the grammarians of the 18th century. In colloquial German, the two words may still overlap. One will occasionally hear denn instead of dann in northern Germany, and vice versa in western and southern Germany.