- (UK, etc.) dialling
- Present participle of dial.
dialing (plural dialings)
- The act by which a number is dialed.
2008 April 12, Edward Wyatt, “As Callers, ‘Idol’ Fans Often Lack Real Talent”, New York Times:
- Even with that many votes, a few thousand errant dialings could affect the results.
- (archaic) The art of constructing dials; the science of measuring time by dials.
- A method of surveying, especially in mines, in which the bearings of the courses, or the angles which they make with each other, are determined by means of the circumferentor.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.