Middle English, from Old French, from stem of Medieval Latin dislocatio, delocatio
dislocation (plural dislocations)
- The act of displacing, or the state of being displaced.
- (geology) The displacement of parts of rocks or portions of strata from the situation which they originally occupied. Slips, faults, and the like, are dislocations.
- The act of dislocating, or putting out of joint; also, the condition of being thus displaced.
- (materials) A linear defect in a crystal lattice. Because dislocations can shift within the crystal lattice, they tend to weaken the material, compared to a perfect crystal.
- (grammar) This word needs a definition. Please help out and add a definition, then remove the text
act or state of displacing
dislocating of a joint