Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
displacement (plural displacements)
- The act of displacing, or the state of being displaced; a putting out of place.
- The quantity of anything, as water, displaced by a floating body, as by a ship, the weight of the displaced liquid being equal to that of the displacing body.
- (chemistry) The process of extracting soluble substances from organic material and the like, whereby a quantity of saturated solvent is displaced, or removed, for another quantity of the solvent.
- (fencing) Moving the target to avoid an attack; dodging.
- (physics) A vector quantity which denotes distance with a directional component.
- (grammar) This word needs a definition. Please help out and add a definition, then remove the text
Read in another language
This page is available in 23 languages