effort (plural efforts)
- The work involved in performing an activity; exertion.
- It took a lot of effort to find a decent-sized, fully-furnished apartment within walking distance of the office. He made a conscious effort to not appear affected by the stories in the paper.
2011 June 22, Press Association, “Manchester United offer Park Ji-sung a new two-year contract”, The Guardian:
- The 30-year-old South Korean, who joined United in 2005, retired from international duty after last season's Asian Cup in an effort to prolong his club
2013 July-August, Henry Petroski, “Geothermal Energy”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 4:
- Energy has seldom been found where we need it when we want it. Ancient nomads, wishing to ward off the evening chill and enjoy a meal around a campfire, had to collect wood and then spend time and effort coaxing the heat of friction out from between sticks to kindle a flame.
- An endeavour.
- Although he didn't win any medals, Johnson's effort at the Olympics won over many fans.
2012 March 1, William E. Carter, Merri Sue Carter, “The British Longitude Act Reconsidered”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 87:
- But was it responsible governance to pass the Longitude Act without other efforts to protect British seamen? Or might it have been subterfuge—a disingenuous attempt to shift attention away from the realities of their life at sea.
- A force acting on a body in the direction of its motion.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Rankine to this entry?)
- Adjectives often used with "effort": conscious, good, poor, etc.
the amount of work involved in achieving something
endeavour — see endeavour
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (uncommon, intransitive) To make an effort.
- (obsolete, transitive) To stimulate.
- He efforted his spirits.
effort m (plural efforts)
- “effort” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- alternative form of