exception that proves the rule
- exception proves the rule
- the exception proves the rule
- A form of argument in which the existence of a counterexample to a rule is used to demonstrate the fact that a rule exists.
- (idiomatic) The rare occurrence of a counterexample to a rule, used to underscore that the rule exists
a form of argument
- World Wide Words
- “The exception that proves the rule”, The Phrase Finder, Gary Martin.
- The Straight Dope
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language