- The traditional punishments of Hell.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version) Revelations 14:10 and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb
- Referencing or emphasizing the power and wrath of God.
- That preacher gave a real fire and brimstone sermon!
- The fire-and-brimstone preacher gave the city council a severe tongue-lashing after they voted on a zoning ordinance allowing a new strip club to open.
referencing the wrath of God