From Latin gladius (“sword”).
gladiate (comparative more gladiate, superlative most gladiate)
- (botany) Sword-shaped.
- The leaves of the iris and gladiolus are gladiate.
Back-formation from gladiator.
gladiate (third-person singular simple present gladiates, present participle gladiating, simple past and past participle gladiated)
- To fight as a gladiator.
- 2013, Lorde, Glory and Gore, Pure Heroine:
- You could try and take us (oh, oh),
- but we're the gladiators (oh, oh)
- We gladiate, but I guess we're really fighting ourselves […]