gold standard (plural gold standards)
Last modified on 14 June 2013, at 16:21
- (economics) A monetary system where the value of circulating money is linked to the value of gold.
- 2002, Philip Ball, The Elements: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford 2004, p. 57
- In countries that accepted the gold standard, currency could be exchanged at a bank for a fixed weight of gold.
- (idiomatic) A test or measure of comparison that is considered ultimate or ideal.
- The OED is the gold standard for English dictionaries. Everyone wants to see how their version measures up to that ideal.