See also Appendix:Variations of "gu"
- (conjunction) whether (or not)
- This is a coordinating conjunction: gu ... gi ... means ... whether or not ....
- This is a so-called "forethought connective". Its corresponding "afterthought connective" is .iju.
- Nonstandard spelling of gū.
- Nonstandard spelling of gú.
- Nonstandard spelling of gǔ.
- Nonstandard spelling of gù.
English transcriptions of Chinese speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Chinese language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
- IPA: /ɡu/
- Makes an adverb when placed in front of an adjective
- Tha mi gu math. I am (doing) well.
- Before vowels the form gu h- is used.
- till, until
- Fanaidh mi gu ochd uairean. - I'll wait until eight o'clock.
- Chuir mi litir gu mo phàrantan. - I sent a letter to my parents.
- Before the definite article takes the form chun and is followed by the genitive instead of the dative.
- Is toil e a bhith a' dol gu partaidhean. - He likes going to parties.
- A bheil thu tighinn chun a' phartaidh? - Are you coming to the party?
|Combining pronoun||Prepositional pronoun||Prepositional pronoun (emphatic)|