hard sell (plural hard sells)
- A sales technique of pressuring the potential buyer to agree to a purchase.
- 1994, "COMPANY NEWS; Lockheed Set to Cut Price on F-16 Fighter," New York Times, 7 Jul. (retrieved 24 Mar. 2009):
- The Lockheed Corporation said today that it would reduce the price of its F-16 fighter plane, underscoring a new, aggressive posture. . . . "It's the old hard sell, which is necessitated by the market conditions both here and overseas," Mr. Dane said.
- A sales transaction which is challenging for the sales person to make; any act or object of persuasion which is challenging.
Last modified on 10 November 2012, at 15:00
- (sales technique of pressuring the buyer): soft sell