See also: Illustration
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
illustration (plural illustrations)
- The act of illustrating; the act of making clear and distinct; education; also, the state of being illustrated, or of being made clear and distinct.
- That which illustrates; a comparison or example intended to make clear or apprehensible, or to remove obscurity.
2012 June 19, Phil McNulty, “England 1-0 Ukraine”, BBC Sport:
- England will regard it as a measure of justice for Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany in Bloemfontein at the 2010 World Cup - but it was also an illustration of how they rode their luck for long periods in front of a predictably partisan home crowd.
- A picture designed to decorate a volume or elucidate a literary work.
- A calculated prevision of insurance premiums and returns (life insurance)
act of illustrating
that which illustrates
picture designed to decorate
- ^ "an illustration [...] is a computer projection of future premiums, cash values and death benefits based on the current dividend scale (whole life) or current interest rates and current costs of insurance (universal life)." taken from http://www.evaluatelifeinsurance.org
illustration f (plural illustrations)