Last modified on 21 June 2013, at 01:56
inter- + digitate
interdigitate (third-person singular simple present interdigitates, present participle interdigitating, simple past and past participle interdigitated)
- (transitive) To fold or lock together, as when the fingers of one hand are laced between those of the other.
- (intransitive) To become folded or locked together, like the fingers of a folded hand.
- (transitive, figuratively) To intermingle; to present alternately items from one group and then another.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page viii
- Thirdly, I continue to attempt to interdigitate the taxa in our flora with taxa of the remainder of the world.