jibe (plural jibes)
- A facetious or insulting remark, a jeer or taunt.
- He flung subtle jibes at her until she couldn't bear to work with him any longer.
- (nautical) A manoeuver in which the stern of a sailing boat or ship crosses the wind, typically resulting in the sudden sweep of the boom from one side of the sailboat to the other.
facetious or insulting remark
sudden sweep of a boom of a sailboat
- (intransitive, nautical) To perform a jibe
- (intransitive) To agree.
- That explanation doesn't jibe with the facts.
- (transitive, nautical) To cause to execute a jibe
"jive" and "jibe" are frequently used interchangeably in the U.S. to indicate the concept "to agree or accord". However, while one recent dictionary accepts this usage, most sources consider this an error.
to cause to execute a jibe