- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkjuːdɒs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈkuː.doʊz/, /ˈkuː.doʊs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Praise; accolades.
- The talented, young playwright received much kudos for his new drama.
- (proscribed) plural form of .
- Credit for one's achievements.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, The China Governess:
- Meanwhile Nanny Broome was recovering from her initial panic and seemed anxious to make up for any kudos she might have lost, by exerting her personality to the utmost. She took the policeman's helmet and placed it on a chair, and unfolded his tunic to shake it and fold it up again for him.
- The noun kudos was originally a mass noun, but is now sometimes taken as a plural noun, either as a plurale tantum, or as the plural of a new noun kudo. However, this plural treatment is frequently proscribed.
< kutoa (“to weave”)
- (textiles) fabric (texture of a cloth)
- (biology) tissue (group of similar cells that function together to do a specific job)