- To suffer loss or disadvantage.
- He lost ground in his career due to his illness.
- The are losing ground to foreign competitors every year.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) To become closer to another traveling the same course.
2014 November 14, Stephen Halliday, “Scotland 1-0 Republic of Ireland: Maloney the hero”, The Scotsman:
- The pre-match mantra from the Scotland camp may have been of it not being a “must win” game but that fooled no-one, Poland’s win in Georgia earlier last night simply crystallised how vital it was for the Scots not to lose any more ground at this stage of an intensely competitive campaign.