From the Greek μαγνήτης λίθος (magnítis líthos), magnesian stone.
- A piece of material that attracts some metals by magnetism.
- (informal, figuratively, preceded by a noun) A person or thing that attracts what is denoted by the preceding noun.
- He always had a girl on his arm - he's a bit of a babe-magnet.
- 2007, J. Michael Fay, Ivory Wars: Last Stand in Zakouma, National Geographic (March 2007), 47,
- ...I wanted to show Nick the largest of the water holes, Rigueik, that act as magnets to life in the dry season.
Terms derived from "magnet"
piece of material that attracts some metals by magnetism
- a magnet (piece of material that attracts metal by magnetism)
Declension of magnet