From middle + way. Compare Dutch middelweg, German Mittelweg; compare also Latin via media.
middle way (plural middle ways)
Last modified on 13 May 2013, at 00:07
- The middle of three paths.
- An intermediate course (of action, policy etc) between two extremes; a compromise.
- 2009, Simon Tisdall, The Guardian, 21 Sep 09:
- Obama's choice, according to McChrystal, a former special forces commander, boils down to this: Escalate or evacuate, get on or get out; there is no middle way that does not invite calamity on a grand scale.
- The midpoint of a person's life; middle age.