obscenity (plural obscenities)
- (countable) Something that is obscene.
- Martha wouldn't go into the art museum because, as she put it, "They have obscenities just sitting out, on display!"
- (countable) An act of obscene behaviour.
- Bestiality was outlawed as an obscenity in the strongly conservative community.
- (countable) Specifically, an offensive word; a profanity; a dirty word.
- Eliza couldn't stand her daughter's music; as she saw it, it was just shouted obscenities and a heavy drum beat.
- (uncountable) The qualities that make something obscene; lewdness, indecency, or offensive behaviour.
- The coalition of religious conservatives was campaigning against, in their view, rampant obscenity in the entertainment industry.
something that is obscene
Read in another language
This page is available in 14 languages